Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shawn Johnson






Shawn added a third Olympic medal to her count, taking silver in the floor individual finals today. Romania’s Sandra Izbasa was first and teammate Nastia Liukin finished third. With Shawn's All-around and Team silver medals, she is now one of the most decorated U.S. gymnasts in Olympic history. Congratulations Shawn!

These questions were on her website I found it interesting!
Q. What grade are you in at school?

A. Sophomore at Valley High School, a public school in West Des Moines, Iowa, USA.

Q. How old were you when you started gymnastics?

A. My parents put me in gymnastics when I was 3 because I had too much energy around the house.

Q. How have your parents been supportive of your gymnastics?

A. They have and made sure that what I’m doing is what I love and enjoy. They have just supported me in everything that I have done and are the best parents ever.

Q. What’s your favorite event to do?

A. My favorite has always been the balance beam.Q. How often do you practice? A. I usually work out 4 hours a day and 5 to 6 hours on Saturday with Sundays off. A typical practice consists of practicing every event for about an hour. A lot of people assume I have private coaching, but I work out with 13 other girls at the gym.

Q. What kinds of food do you eat as an elite gymnast?

A. I don't really follow any specific diet. I just eat very healthy, well balanced meals and try to stay away from sweets. A normal breakfast for me is yogurt and scrambled eggs, lunch might be a wrap or salad with some fruit, and for dinner I eat a lot of fish or chicken and fresh vegetables.

Q. What do you eat before competitions?

A. Before every competition I try to eat light so I don’t feel full and may have some chicken and fruit or maybe a little pasta. After the meet I’ll eat a filling meal with carbs and meat to help kind of heal and re-energize my muscles for the next day.

Q. Who is your role model in gymnastics?

A. My biggest role models in gymnastics have always been Kim Zmeskal and Shannon Miller. I always loved watching their gymnastics and am now able to personally connect and relate to them which is such an honor.

Q. Who gets more nervous at events – you or your parents?

A. I would probably say my parents, just because they have watched me grow up and have seen everything I have worked for and done, so they are just really protective and anxious. All they want is for me to be happy and come out of everything perfectly healthy wearing a smile.
Shawn Johnson won three silver medals and one gold! I love winning gold medals!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love gymnastics! And I love Shawn! Did I tell you that I used to take gymnastics before? Evan did too (LOL). But not for as long as I did. I think we have pictures of some of our classes. Yes, and Evan too. Anna!